Gluten Free Ginger Plum Crumble with Ginger tea

This ginger plum crumble is baked in individual ramekins for a comforting dessert.  Eat warm out of the oven with ginger tea or with a scoop of vanilla ice-cream. It’s simple and easy to make. No picky ingredients, no special kitchen euipments. The plums are baked to just right perfection. Not too mushy. With a hint of ginger it smells and tastes delicious.

Ginger plum crumble

I had it with our  afternoon tea.

Tea is the popular beverage of Indians. It is often consumed at the breakfast and as an evening drink and often flavored with different spices and served with milk and sugar. Another popular tea in cooler weather is ginger tea. It is a sore throat remedy and energy booster. And, I am sure everyone knows ginger is also good for digestion.

So let’s make ginger plum crumble with ginger tea.

GLUTEN FREE GINGER PLUM CRUMBLE

Ingredients: 5-6 firm ripe plums, 2 tbsp brown sugar, 1 tsp corn starch, 1/4 tsp ginger powder, zest of one lemon

Crumble topping: 3/4 cup gf quick cooking oats, 2 tbsp amaranth flour, 1 3/4 tbsp brown sugar,1 3/4 tbsp butter, 1/3 cup chopped pistachios

Method:

Wash the plums. Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.Using a sharp knife halve the plums, remove and discard the pits, then cut the flesh into fairly thick slices. Mix the plums with brown sugar, corn starch, ginger powder and lemon zest.

Divide the plum mixture into 4 ramekins. Cook in the oven for 5- 10 minutes or until heated through.

Put the rolled oats, amaranth flour and brown sugar in a bowl. Mix in the melted butter until crumbly. Add chopped pistachios.

Arrange this crumble over the plums in an even layer, keep your touch light or the crumble will sink into the filling and go mushy.

Bake for 25-30 minutes or until the crumble topping is golden brown. Cover the gluten free crumble with a loose foil tent for first 15 minutes to prevent it from getting the top burnt. Serve warm with ginger tea. I made two ramekins with GF crumble and 2 with APF crumble. The left over crumble mixture can go in the fridge for next time. It stays fresh for one month.

Ginger Tea

Ingredients:

1 cup of water, 1 cup milk, 2 tea bags, 1.5″ piece of ginger, sugar optional

Method:

Cut ginger root as required and peel the skin. Roughly ground it in mortal and pestle. Add it to 1 cup of water. Bring it to boil and then turn off the heat. Let it sit covered for 10 minutes for the ginger flavor to steep in. Bring it to boil again but this time with two tea bags.

Simmer the boiling water for 1 minute. Add milk and heat it till it again comes to boil. Turn off the heat.

Remove tea bags. Strain tea into a tea pot or individual cups. Enjoy the piping hot ginger tea with plum crumble.

Note: You can add lemon juice and honey if you are not a fan of milk. I prefer with milk.

Which ginger tea would you prefer, with lemon or milk?

21 Comments

Parsley Sage December 2, 2011 (5:57 pm)

Ohmigoodness! That plum crumble looks incredible. I bet it tastes fabulous 🙂 And the CHA is lovely too 🙂 I’d like mine with milk, please!

Buzzed

Malti December 2, 2011 (5:57 pm)

Nice way to treat youself. The crumble looks good.
    Obviously in winters I would prefer ginger tea with milk. But lemon also tastes very good.

Nami | Just One Cookbook December 2, 2011 (6:30 pm)

I love your plum crumble. I like to eat plum by itself, too, but I think this crumble makes it even better. I drink ginger tea when I’m sick but I think these two are a great combination!

easyfoodsmith December 3, 2011 (2:02 am)

Lovely post…delicious looking plum crumble. Buzzed…

Tina December 3, 2011 (3:08 am)

You have really made a special one here. The use of tea as well as pistachios in this dish does intrigue. Nice to see somebody is making use of plums-I rarely see recipes with this fruit. Have a great weekend!

Sandra December 3, 2011 (5:00 am)

I love both recipes. I’ve not seen many recipes that called for amaranth flour. Haven’t used any yet but I want to. Great post.

Balvinder ( Neetu) December 3, 2011 (8:45 am)

Love to read your comments and I am sure some of you will be sipping ginger tea while I am writing this.

Asmita December 3, 2011 (9:44 am)

Hi Balvinder,
    I like ginger tea and have been making it very often at home (thanks to the weather). The crumble looks fantastic!

Lizzy December 3, 2011 (11:02 am)

Oh, I love crumbles…and how wonderful that you could make this gluten free….mmmmmmm.

Kiri W. December 3, 2011 (12:12 pm)

I love a good crumble, and I’ve never actually had one with plum. Sounds delicious!

Cucina49 December 3, 2011 (2:59 pm)

I am a huge fan of fruit crumbles, and I love the combination of plums and the ginger tea–lovely!

Torviewtoronto December 3, 2011 (8:39 pm)

this looks fabulous nice to meet you

Raji December 3, 2011 (10:38 pm)

This is a wonderful recipe…I have not seen many recipes with plum and your recipe is a keeper.

Thanks for visiting my space…I cook only vegan and lactovegetarian, have not tried gluten free…going thru your past posts to check out some wonderful dishes.

Purabi Naha December 3, 2011 (11:40 pm)

Yummy plum crumble. I never imagined it is so easy to make! Thanks for this great post! And yes, I am really fond of ‘adrak-wali chai”!!

Nava.K December 3, 2011 (11:49 pm)

Plum crumble is new to me but why not as I am always quite adventurous when it comes to food.

Both the crumble and tea would been a great opener for a tea break.

I am away for a holiday in Thailand and its difficult to go around and blog at the same time. Will try to keep in touch from time to time or after I am back home.

Torviewtoronto December 4, 2011 (3:22 pm)

thank you for the compliments Neetu following you too 🙂
    keep in touch

thetravellingchopsticks December 4, 2011 (4:37 pm)

Hi Neetu, Thank you so much for stopping by my blog – i have been browing through yours and loving what I see!! It can be really difficult to change your eating habits even if it is for medical reasons, and I love the way you have tackled this problem head-on and turned it into a positive!! I look forward to reading more of your glutten free adventures 🙂

Kiran @ KiranTarun.com December 7, 2011 (8:40 am)

Huge fan of ginger tea with milk 😀

Those plum crumbles resembles blueberry and coconut crumbles I made during summer. Delicious 🙂

• Fresh Ginger Cake | Simple Gluten Free Kitchen December 3, 2014 (4:55 pm)

[…] favorite spice, that comes from a humble looking root with a surprising zing. When used fresh, in tea, ginger has properties known to assist with nausea, digestion and circulation. And adding a little […]

• Honey Sweetened Golden Plum Chutney – Simple Gluten Free Kitchen September 6, 2016 (5:01 am)

[…] we love eating plums fresh, nothing beats an old fashioned plum crumble, or a pudding, jam or chutney to savor in the cold months. No one eats jam in this household as it […]

Abbe@This is How I Cook January 25, 2017 (4:19 pm)

Oh my, this looks like the perfect thing for a cold winter day!