Raspberry Chocolate Ice Cream Roulade

I can’t express enough how much I adore roulade. It’s light, creamy and a versatile dessert. You can fill it with whatever you want. In warm weather I like to fill the roulade with ice cream. Not only is it a simple and an elegant dessert for  a special occasion but is also incredibly easy to make for an everyday summer treat!  It can be assembled and frozen a week or two in advance until you need it and can be thawed in the refrigerator for 20 minutes before serving.

I find that hazelnut meal adds loads of flavor in cakes with chocolate. So the sponge cake for the ice cream roulade is made with dark chocolate, hazelnut meal and cornstarch in addition to eggs.  It makes a rich, yet light base for an ice cream filling of  white chocolate and raspberry. How cool! I have never gone to length of making my own ice cream for a cake like this, but if you want to, go for it. When spreading the ice cream filling on the cake make sure it is soft enough to handle, leave about an inch around the sides and the edge nearest you and about 2 inches at the edge furthest from you. This will prevent the filling from squishing out as you roll the cake.

Try making ice cream roulade this summer, it will make for an interesting addition to your gluten free dessert repertoire!

Raspberry Chocolate Ice Cream Roulade

Prep Time: 15 minutes

Cook Time: 15 minutes

Total Time: 30 minutes

Yield: serves 8

This delightful chocolate ice cream roulade is a fabulous finale to a summer meal.

For roulade
  • 34 g (1/3 cup) hazelnut meal
  • 2 tbsp corn starch
  • 112.5 g (4 oz) dark chocolate
  • 72 g (1/3 cup) sugar
  • 4 eggs
  • cocoa powder for dusting
  • For the filling
  • 500 ml white chocolate raspberry ice cream
  • raspberries

1. Preheat the oven to 350°F. Grease a 13x9" jelly roll pan and line it with parchment. Grease the parchment.
  2. Melt the chocolate in microwave or in a heat proof bowl set over a pan of simmering water.
  3. In a bowl whisk hazelnut meal and corn starch.
  4. In a separate bowl, whisk the egg yolks with sugar until thick and pale. Stir the melted chocolate and the flour into the yolk mixture.
  5. Whisk the egg whites in the bowl of an electric mixer until stiff.
  6. Stir a quarter of the egg whites into the yolk mixture to lighten it, then fold in the remainder.
  7. Pour the mixture into the prepared pan and spread it gently.
  8. Bake for about 15 minutes, until the cake is just firm.
  9. Turn it out on a parchment paper, which has been dusted with cocoa powder.
  10. Leave to cool for 5 minutes, then peel away the lining.
  11. Roll up the cake tightly, encasing the parchment (greaseproof) paper. Leave to cool completely.
  12. Unroll the cake, spread the ice cream (if you want a raspberry center in the roulade, make a line of fresh raspberries on the edge nearest to you ).
  13. Gently roll the cake from the narrow end using the paper to help.
  14. Slide the roulade off the paper lined baking sheet and onto a long plate that is freezer proof. Cover and freeze overnight.
  15. Transfer to the refrigerator 20 minutes before serving. Cut into slices and arrange on serving plates with the raspberries.

Just want to let you know that I recently ( about 2 months) joined flip board and I love it!

If you are new to simpleglutenfreekitchen, or are a regular visitor here, please consider subscribing for free to my blog (if you haven’t) and Flip board magazine. It is a place where I compiled all my food posts into one magazine. You can flip through pages as if you are flipping through a magazine.

To follow you need to download the google currents app for free & subscribe to simpleglutenfreekitchen magazine for free-that’s all!. Here’s the link  http://flip.it/qFs6N  or go directly from my blog by clicking  read magazine.

Once subscribed, you can view the magazine on your desktop.  If you wish,  you can also like  my posts by tapping the heart ♥ (this can be done only on your smart phone & tablet)  or flip a post (by clicking + ), if you have a flip board.

Many thanks for your support!

ela@GrayApron June 5, 2014 (5:24 am)

It looks fantastic! Love all that hazelnut meal in the cake…goes so well with…everything. On my to do list, love roulade too…

ela h.

Bam's Kitchen June 5, 2014 (5:51 am)

It was 90 F before 9am here in HK. I am craving cool and sweet things like this delicious roulade. So pretty and cool and refreshing, maybe even for breakfast, here in Asia. Life is short. Eat dessert first!

Malti Sharma June 5, 2014 (6:49 am)

This looks absolutely perfect summer treat., Neetu! You always have the best and simple to make dessert recipes. 🙂
    I don’t know what Flip board is, but will most definitely check on .. and try your roulade recipe.

Balvinder June 7, 2014 (7:57 pm)

Thank you Malti for your appreciation! Flip board is very simple. Go on my magazine, click follow and just follow the instructions. Make sure you download the app to open the magazine in Flip board (format) to like my posts.

Angie@Angie's Recipes June 5, 2014 (10:38 am)

This looks stunning! Love the ice cream filling.

Sridevi Ravi June 5, 2014 (1:02 pm)

Cool Roulade! Love the colour combination. Ice cream in a cake…oh, nothing can beat that! Your Flip board Magazine is awesome! Great job…keep rocking!!!

Balvinder June 7, 2014 (7:58 pm)

Thanks:) I will be more than happy if you download the app and follow my magazine. It’s free.

Monica June 5, 2014 (7:01 pm)

I’m saying “me too” as I read this! I adore roulade as well and I love chocolate and hazelnut together. You make it sound so easy, Balvinder! And I adore the ice cream filling…it’s a great make-ahead, which is always appreciated. Your daughter must be very happy with this one, my friend! 🙂

Balvinder June 7, 2014 (8:04 pm)

Thanks Monica, I love making easy and make ahead desserts when we have friends over and this one is definitely everyone’s favorite for summer days!

Coffee and Crumpets June 5, 2014 (7:56 pm)

This reminds me of the ice cream roulades I used to have as a child. I love these and yours looks so good with the chocolate cake and raspberry ice cream. Wonderful combination!

Balvinder June 7, 2014 (8:08 pm)

I know I have few friends from UK, they say the same thing. So glad you loved it. Thank you my friend 🙂

Blackswan June 5, 2014 (10:45 pm)

Who would’ve thought of having a homemade roulade with ice-cream! Bal, you’re such a temptress!

Sarvani (baker in disguise) June 8, 2014 (10:05 pm)

Oh ill confess.. I so want to try making a roulade but I just don’t trust my clumsy self.. I know I will mess it up!! Ice cream roulade sounds soo good.. trust me I could so do with it right now.. Its insanely hot out here!!

Katerina June 9, 2014 (11:57 pm)

Perfectly made Balvinder! It looks like made from a professional!

Harvinder June 11, 2014 (7:13 pm)

It looks so yummy… When are you making it next time??? Am coming over!!!

Ansh June 12, 2014 (11:22 pm)

Oh goodness me!! Love this combo.. especially in this mumbai heat.. i WANT that.