Ricotta Cheese Burfi

Its Diwali in few days”, I said to my daughter.

I thought so, you are cleaning every nook and corner of the house” replied my daughter.

Diwali, is one of that auspicious occasion that holds a special place in my heart. It comes after monsoon so deep cleaning of the house makes sense to me. In the name of festivities we all do some extra cleaning, decorating and shopping for the house. Full of light Diwali is a festival of love, prosperity, enlightenment, gratitude and new beginnings. Most important of all – an occasion for loved ones to get together, share splendid meals and enjoy the moments of togetherness.

When I travel down the memory lane I remember we used to prepare scrumptious Diwali sweets at home. These home made sweets were then exchanged with friends, neighbors and relatives. But as time changed and we got busy with other immaterial things, store bought sweets took the place of home made. I still follow the age old tradition of making everything at home and for one thing I am glad that I am gluten free, which makes me and my family eat a little healthier. We eat less sweets now than what we used to eat few years ago and our favorite sweets are usually made from besan, nuts, milk and milk products. I share with you a ricotta cheese burfi that has an irresistible rich taste of kalakand. It is a popular milk and cheese dessert topped with pistachios and almonds.

Traditionally to make kalakand, paneer is added to thickened milk, then sweetened and cooked until it becomes a solid mass. In this recipe I am using ricotta cheese with condensed milk to get the desired texture of kalakand. When cooking with condensed milk and cheese one needs to be careful not to let it stick to bottom and burn. If you are some one like my daughter who likes to nibble on slightly browned crispy cheese then cook a small portion of cheese and condensed milk further till it gets slightly burnt and dry. Add pieces of chocolate or Tim tam as you see in the picture below and enjoy chocolate cheese mess.

RICOTTA CHEESE BURFI
Ingredients:
600g saputo ricotta cheese
1 tin condensed milk
1/4 cup butter
a few drops of rose water and 1/4 tsp cardamom powder
1/3 cup thinly sliced and chopped almonds and pistachios

Method:

1. Grease a cookie tray. Line with parchment paper.

2. Melt butter in a medium non stick pan. Add ricotta cheese and condensed milk and cook on medium heat for 10 minutes, stirring occasionally.

2. Once the mixtureΒ  starts to thicken stir every minute or so to avoid the mixture sticking to the bottom and forms a soft lump. Remove from heat. Stir in rose water and cardamom powder.

3. Spread the mixture evenly in a tray to approximately 1/2″ thickness.

4. Sprinkle pistachio and almonds, press gently onto the ricotta mixture. Set aside for 1 hour.

5. Cut burfi in diamonds, squares or rectangle shapes and separate out with a spatula.

Why wait for Diwali make and enjoy the burfi now!

Hopefully, I will be publishing my next post from my own domain. Till then I wish all of you my heartfelt wishes for a prosperous Diwali filled with Joy, love, health, wealth and happiness.

42 Comments

Malti November 7, 2012 (6:26 pm)

Now this is a delicious sweet. I am going to make this. It is so very easy to follow. Happy diwali to youand your family!

Malti November 7, 2012 (6:27 pm)

one more thing I like the desert idea of your daughter.

Balvinder Ubi November 8, 2012 (4:59 pm)

Thank you Malti,even I liked it but I ate without tim tam.

DivyaGCP November 7, 2012 (9:04 pm)

Wow!! you are moving to your own domain?? Congrats and best wishes..
    I have a similar recipe in my space. I call it Instant Kalakkand.. πŸ™‚

Balvinder Ubi November 8, 2012 (5:01 pm)

I have to check that if it is instant. I still have to move so my fingers are crossed.

Nami | Just One Cookbook November 7, 2012 (11:03 pm)

Happy Diwali to you and your family! This is a beautiful Diwali sweets! I look forward to visiting your blog on your own domain next time. Good luck!

baker in disguise November 7, 2012 (11:47 pm)

haha.. couldnt help laughing about the diwali cleaning bit… its the same story out here!! as for the kalakand with rivotta.. absolutely yum!! Happy diwali to you and your family!! πŸ™‚

Balvinder Ubi November 8, 2012 (5:02 pm)

Thanks S and Happy Diwali to you as well.

mylittleitaliankitchen November 8, 2012 (3:46 am)

Interesting one. This a great little bites. Ricotta is so good in baking, I use it all the time and when I am in Italy I buy the fresh full fat one….pure heaven!

Anne Regalado November 8, 2012 (6:19 am)

Bal , your Diwali sounds like the Chinese New year here or our New year back home re cleaning every nook and crannies ! lol I’ve eaten plain cheese burfi before and really love it πŸ˜€ Yours is more of a gorgeous version with that lovely pistachios and almonds topping !

I’ve already visited your own domain πŸ˜€ Anyway , enjoy the Diwali and think of me while you’re eating some of those delectable Diwali sweets ! πŸ˜€

Balvinder Ubi November 8, 2012 (5:07 pm)

Still there is lot to be done on the site but thanks for visiting.
      Yes, nuts makes a lot of difference to the taste of burfi.

Asmita November 8, 2012 (10:25 am)

Happy Diwali to you and your family!
    The barfi looks so tempting and finally I have a recipe that I can trust and make at home. Thanks for sharing.

Balvinder Ubi November 8, 2012 (5:08 pm)

Happy Diwali to you and your family Asmita!
      Try the burfi this diwali.

yummychunklet November 8, 2012 (4:58 pm)

I am definitely going to try my hand at burfi this year. I miss the Diwali celebrations I went to during college!

Navaneetham Krishnan November 8, 2012 (10:18 pm)

Lovely sweets for the occasion Bal. We too have cut down on sweet, not like those days when I was growing up. But sure, to lighten up Diwali, this barfi will be fabulous.

Kit @ i-lostinausten November 9, 2012 (2:11 am)

Happy Diwali Balvinder . I’ve been seeing lots of Diwali goodies & this is another lovely treat. Another wonderful idea of your daughter that always amazed me! Have a great gathering with families & enjoy . πŸ™‚

Guru Uru November 9, 2012 (7:22 pm)

Perfect to celebrate upcoming Diwali my friend, I wsh I too could cooklike you for it – aaaah school πŸ˜‰
    Hope you and your family have a perfect one!

Cheers
    Choc Chip Uru

Lizzy Do November 11, 2012 (9:47 am)

Mmmmm…a chocolate and cheese mess sounds fantastic! Diwali sounds like a fun festival…celebrating the best things in life! Your homemade treats will be perfect πŸ™‚

Tiffany November 12, 2012 (4:47 am)

Happy Diwali!!!! πŸ˜€ And love the Burfi! My favorite part??? The pistachios of course! πŸ˜€

Ambreen November 12, 2012 (7:52 am)

Happy Diwali to you, Balvinder! Delicious looking irresistible burfi, perfect for the occasion. Congratulations on moving to your own domain, lovely new look πŸ™‚

Soni November 12, 2012 (12:39 pm)

Congrats on the new look! Looks lovely and so does your dessert! Ricotta is perfect to be used in desserts like these πŸ™‚ Happy Diwali to you too πŸ™‚

Kitchen Belleicious November 12, 2012 (12:51 pm)

what a wonderful, new and interesting dessert! I love hearing about your memorylane and things that remind you of those times. This dish looks fantastic

Nava Krishnan November 12, 2012 (6:44 pm)

Happy Diwali to you and everyone at home. Love the new look of your blog, its simply great. You made the right choice to move to wordpress.

Blackswan November 12, 2012 (9:42 pm)

Happy Diwali, my dear! These lovely bakes are perfect for entertaining & I’m sure u’re gonna have a great time πŸ™‚

Nami | Just One Cookbook November 12, 2012 (11:02 pm)

Now that Diwali is here, Happy Diwali again! And huge congrats to your beautiful new look! At first I clicked a different link! So happy that you made the decision to move! πŸ™‚

Alida November 12, 2012 (11:25 pm)

You have done it!! This is a really pretty and easy to navigate site. I really like your new look: delicate and very restful to the eye. Well done! PS: I love these little cakes, they look delicious X

Balvinder November 13, 2012 (8:02 am)

Alida, all the hard work of migrating is done by a young boy. He is still working on getting my links back.

Amelia November 13, 2012 (6:25 am)

Hi Balvinder, this snack look awesome. Love the generous amount of topping, the combination of almond and pistachio look great. yum yum…..

Have a great week ahead, regards.

Shannon | JustAsDelish November 13, 2012 (6:09 pm)

Happy Diwali & congrats on the new site! This is a lovely Diwali treat, yummy dairy goodness πŸ™‚

LinsFood November 16, 2012 (7:51 am)

Happy Diwali, Balvinder! Hope you and your family had a wonderful time! I don’t think I’ve ever come across cheese barfis before! I must surprise my Indian friends with this on Sunday as I’m attending a Diwali do. Thank you!

Liz November 16, 2012 (7:29 pm)

Congrats on your new domain, my friend!!! Happy Diwali to you and your family!

PS…what a yummy treat!

Blackswan November 30, 2012 (8:15 pm)

Bal, head over to Shirley’s Luxury Haven quickly for a surprise!

baker street December 6, 2012 (2:04 am)

Love the new layout, Neetu! Very clean and elegant! Love it.

• Beloved Burfi « What's On The List? December 29, 2012 (4:14 pm)

[…] I came across this Ricotta Cheese Burfi at Simple Gluten Free Kitchen http://www.simpleglutenfreekitchen.com/2012/11/ricotta-cheese-burfi.html,once again, I β€œknew” I just had to put it β€œon the list.” ONE of the things that caught my […]

Joanne T Ferguson December 29, 2012 (4:20 pm)

G’day! I have never previously even heard of burfi; your website and photo made me curious and when I saw it, I knew it just had to be “on the list”. Thank you for inspiring me and I am glad this sweet milk with cheese and nut sweet dessert experience was not missed! πŸ™‚

Balvinder December 29, 2012 (5:11 pm)

I am surprised that you have not heard of burfi before But aNY WAY I am glad that you were inspired by my burfi, tried and had good result with it.

Joanne T Ferguson December 29, 2012 (5:20 pm)

Perhaps I have seen MANY and especially during your holiday festival, but it was not until I saw your recipe and photo that inspired me to try and make…For anyone else like myself, this recipe is GREAT! Thank you!

Jasmine April 20, 2013 (8:24 pm)

Looks good, I’m going to try this out. Would be helpful if you could include how many pieces this would make. I have to make dessert for a pooja for about 50 people, and need that information.

Balvinder April 20, 2013 (10:33 pm)

Jasmine, this burfi tastes good, too. It will be a nice desert for pooja.
      I am not exactly sure, how many pieces I made, but I tried to count looking at the picture it looks like 24.

Sarla DILWALI November 10, 2015 (6:09 pm)

I would like to ask about setting of BARFE At what temp it would get set?
    Is there a way to check?
    thank you. It is great the recipe is easy and not many steps to follow ,also only four ingredients needed ricotta condenced milk , one stick butter, and sliced nuts of your choice
    you had explained nicely thanksthanks
    sd

Balvinder November 15, 2015 (11:06 am)

Hi Sarla dilwali, I like your last name πŸ˜‰ thanks for liking the recipe.
      This burfi sets at room temperature.

• Naturally Sweetened Coconut Burfi & Homemade Chai Spice Mix (Diwali Gift Idea) – Simple Gluten Free Kitchen October 11, 2016 (3:22 pm)

[…] as homemade edible gifts. Some all-time favorites of mine are besan burfi, laddo, gulab jamun, kala kand, kaju katli, coconut burfi and chivda,. However,Β  there are many people who do not eat such sugary […]