Bean Sprouts and Vegetable Salad

If you are on a eating healthy wagon and salad is one of your choice, think wisely. They can be quite deceiving by the amount of ‘goodies’ that we add in the form of cheese, croutons, dressing and the greasy meat. Although some of these items do provide some protein and other nutrients, they also tend to be higher in calories and fat.

Salads in Indian cuisine are very simple, light and healthy. They are mostly vegetable and bean sprouts based, no cheese, no croutons and the concept of dressing is not at all popular. A dash of salt and pepper with some lemon juice is all that is more commonly used but I experiment with various homemade salad dressings to keep variety in my salads.

The day after my husband’s birthday we were invited to a friend’s house for  barbecue dinner. That friend needed someone to bring salad and dessert, I offered to bring salad as I had a batch of sprouted beans in my fridge. They were not sufficient for 10 adults, I combined it with few other things and a hearty and flavorful salad was born.

As I said above I love to experiment with salad dressings, mixing and matching ingredients, for this salad I made lemon Dijon dressing, taking equal amount of every ingredient that I used. When I tasted it was a bit too sharp and I realize that not everyone loves Dijon  so I added vegetable stock and  lemon juice to cut back the sharpness.

With a sweet and tangy dressing this salad is an impressive combination of  crunchy textures and flavors.

Bean Sprouts and Vegetable Salad

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Total Time: 10 minutes

Yield: 10 servings

A crunchy, filling and super healthy salad.

For Bean Sprouts and Vegetable salad
  • 2-3 cups sprouted mung beans and chickpeas
  • 1 bunch romaine lettuce,
  • 5 wine tomatoes, quartered
  • 2 cukes, thickly sliced
  • 1-2 yellow bell pepper, cut 1" pieces
  • 2 carrots, grated
  • Lemon Dijon dressing
  • 1/4 cup Dijon
  • 1/4 - 1/3 cup lemon juice
  • 1/4 cup liquid honey
  • 3 tbsp vegetable stock (optional)
  • 1/4-1/3 cup olive oil
  • salt and pepper to taste

1. Tear off any bruised or bad parts of romaine leaves.
  2. Wash head under running water over the outside and in between the leaves or cut leaves and wash each leaf separately.
  3. Tear into bite size pieces and spin dry in a salad spinner.
  4. In a large salad bowl, mix torn romaine lettuce, quartered wine tomatoes, bell pepper pieces and sliced cukes.
  5. Add in sprouted mung beans, chickpeas and grated carrots. Set aside.
  6. Whisk first 4 ingredients under dressing in a bowl or blender on low speed.
  7. Slowly add in olive oil mixing until emulsified.
  8. Add salt and pepper to taste. Use immediately or cover and refrigerate until required.

You can get sprouted beans from a specialty stores or sprout your own by following this method. You can sprout any bean following the same method. But the sprouting time will vary with each bean.

Blackswan August 1, 2013 (6:57 am)

Love the colourful plating! I don’t mind Dijon; more for me please……….

Liz August 1, 2013 (10:19 am)

So many salads that I make (or order out) are not especially healthy! Yours looks both delicious and full of fresh, nutritious ingredients. Perfect addition to a summer’s meal.

Balvinder August 1, 2013 (8:51 pm)

Liz, looking at you, I can’t imagine you making or ordering some unhealthy salads. This for sure is a perfect meal.

Monica August 1, 2013 (11:09 am)

You’re so right about all the “hidden” fats and whatnot in a salad. I think most of the time I’m better off ordering anything but a salad at a restaurant . That’s why I much prefer to make them at home myself too. I usually go with a little olive oil, lemon juice or vinegar. I like your idea of a little stock. I’m a fan of dijon too. Your salad looks colorful, nutritious, and tasty.

Balvinder August 1, 2013 (9:01 pm)

For me, salad is the best option for a meal when eating out. I usually have it with grilled chicken breast and lemon juice for dressing.

Vicki Bensinger August 1, 2013 (7:55 pm)

I agree salad that you would think of as low cal can be so fattening with all the extras we add to them. Your salad is so bright and colorful and full of healthy ingredients. I love how you adjusted the sharpness of your dressing by adding stock – that was brilliant. Nice recipe!

Balvinder August 1, 2013 (9:56 pm)

Most people don’t realize they consume tons of calories just by having salad. Years ago, I was one of them, too.
      Vicki, adding stock seemed the best option to reduce the pungency of Dijon, thereby avoiding the addition of more olive oil.

Sugar et al August 1, 2013 (10:58 pm)

The perfect salad for me is one which is crunchy, fresh, colourful with a sweet-sour dressing. This one ticks all the boxes, Great recipe!

Linda August 2, 2013 (3:14 am)

Is “djon” mustard? What alternative would you suggest if this is the case, as my husband dislikes mustard.

Balvinder August 2, 2013 (6:45 am)

Yes Linda, Dijon is mustard. I have never substituted this but I would suggest to make the dressing without Dijon. It will be good.
      If you still want that pungency and color in your dressing then add horseradish sauce with little turmeric to give yellow color.

anne August 2, 2013 (5:25 am)

The salad that I like to make is made of fresh fruits but you’ll smirk at my dressing – mayo and condensed milk 😛 Not healthy at all lol Your version is so refreshing and healthy , lovely color and texture and such a perfect accompaniment to any meal !

Nava Krishnan August 2, 2013 (7:36 am)

Its lovely. I eat everything but not very concern about being healthy yet its about moderation. I adore a bowl of salad for my dinner because munching on the fresh and crispy salad is a joy to my palates. In fact you know what, sometimes my dinner is salad and a two or three scoops of rice.

I have all the ingredients for the dressing but maybe will change the veggies, see what I have in the fridge sort of thing.

Sarvani (baker in disguise) August 2, 2013 (7:17 pm)

I hear you about salads turning out to be a calorie trap!! sometimes you are better off with regular khana.. but I do enjoy my sprouts.. its more of a 5 pm snack.. and I keep it simple, with some chopped onions, tomatoes and a bit of a chaat masala.. works well!!

Coffee and Crumpets August 2, 2013 (9:45 pm)

I love Dijon and almost all my dressings have it! This salad is great Balvinder, colourful, healthy and great textures.

Swathi August 3, 2013 (2:05 pm)

Love your sprouted healthy salad and Dijon mustard dressing. I am going to make it for my salad too.

Asmita August 3, 2013 (3:22 pm)

What an amazing salad!

Ansh | Spiceroots August 4, 2013 (7:22 pm)

What a beautiful looking salad. and so nutrient rich with the right balance. Love it.

easyfoodsmith August 4, 2013 (11:58 pm)

That is surely one of the healthiest salad. I can gorge on it everyday!

Juliana August 5, 2013 (3:36 pm)

Beautiful and refreshing salad Balvinder…
    Have a wonderful week ahead 😀

Jennifer Eloff August 5, 2013 (5:34 pm)

What a gorgeous salad! Lovely! Have a great week, Balvinder. 🙂

Sridevi Ravi August 6, 2013 (6:54 am)

So good and super healthy!

Amelia August 12, 2013 (6:33 am)

Hi Balvinder, I love your salad, very appetizing. Great for light lunch and chickpea is my all time favorite snack. 🙂
    Thanks or sharing this healthy recipe.

Best regards.

alwin May 21, 2014 (5:42 pm)

Nice salad