Sirke Waale Pyaaz / Quick Pickled Onion Salad
Sirke wale pyaaz or Quick pickled onion salad is a staple in Punjabi cuisine with little variations. It is so simple to make that I never thought to share with you. As grilling season is in full gear right now so I thought to do a quick post. A plateful of this garnet pickled salad on the table is a perfect companion to grilled and spicy food, so try it!
This salad is sweet, tangy and savory at the same time. It is most commonly made with pearl onions but thinly sliced regular red onion works great too. Red onions have deep purple skin which is great for raw salads. Soaking them in white vinegar mellows the pungent odor and brings out the prettiest pink color. When you add beet it lends a beautiful garnet color and deep earthy sweetness. Though beetroot is optional I add because I love eating it raw, and with some fresh mint, this salad is not just beautiful but also tastes delicious!
This is a really nice salad to serve alongside various dishes like tandoori chicken, fish or kebabs. It is vegan, low fat and is often served complimentary with Punjabi meal at every restaurant in the Northern region of India (may be in other regions too but I am not familiar). I also enjoy this in sandwiches and burgers.
For even more simple and delcious recipes, you know that you could follow me on twitter, Instagram, google+, right? If you haven’t already subscribed to my blog then insert your email address under “Subscribe to SimpleGlutenFreeKitchen” and hit submit. You can then get updates of all my recent posts I publish on my blog for free in your Email.
Sweet, tangy and savory. A plateful of this quick pickled onion salad is a perfect companion to grilled and spicy food, simple enough to brighten up an everyday meal.
- 1 ( 160 g) red onion
- 1 (120 g) beet
- 1/3 cup white vinegar ( apple cider or rice vinegar are good too)
- Salt to taste
- Black pepper optional
- Few mint leave
- Peel and cut the onion in half. Rinse,slice thinly, lengthwise or crosswise (If you want onion rings don't cut the onion in half.
- Peel and slice beet root into thin batons.
- Place onion in a Ziploc bag.
- Add vinegar and salt.
- Lock the bag and mix the contents well.
- Leave in the fridge for a minimum of 30 minutes. After 20 minutes add beet and lock the bag again.
- Right before serving, squeeze the salad gently so all the moisture is left out (wear gloves to prevent your hands from getting stained).
- You can discard the vinegar solution or keep in fridge to add it to your bowl of cooked lentils for tangy taste.
- Sprinkle fresh mint around, serve and eat.
- If you have leftover salad, tightly wrap and refrigerate to be used within 2 days