Kale And Broccoli Stir Fry

Firstly, thank you all so much for the sweet comments, google shares and pins on my panettone post.

Secondly, I also thank Paula of celiac corner for featuring me and my recipe, chai spiced apple cake for the month of January.  Her blog is an informative resource for the celiac and gluten sensitive community, providing the latest medical and research information, tips for living  gluten free lifestyle, reviews and much more.  I feel lucky to have such good blogger and google friends and readers 🙂 Love you all!

Now onto today’s recipe of kale and broccoli stir fry.

I always make broccoli the way my daughter loves it and this recipe is based on my earlier broccoli stir fry post. I have added kale and couple more ingredients.  Both kale and broccoli are nutrient rich vegetables which can be consumed, raw or steamed. You can add it to salads, soups, curry or as a side dish to any entree. The recipe is so simple and easy that I think you will love it. You cook the broccoli in desi ghee until it is lightly scorched but  still look green and crunchy and kale is softened. Then you add some more ingredients to spruce up the dish.  I really love its buttery taste along with delicious and  nutty flavor of pine nuts. Try it!

Kale And Broccoli Stir Fry

Prep Time: 10 minutes

Cook Time: 5 minutes

Total Time: 15 minutes

Yield: 4 servings

Super quick, nutritious and yummy side dish.

• 130 g (3 leaves) kale, stems removed and chopped
  • 150 g ( 1 head) broccoli, chopped into bite size florets
  • 2 tbsp sun dried tomato (packed in olive oil)
  • 1 tbsp lemon juice
  • 2 tbsp sliced onion
  • 1/2" piece thinly sliced ginger
  • 2 tbsp desi ghee/butter/oil
  • 1 tbsp pine nuts
  • 1 tsp red pepper flakes
  • salt to taste

1. Toast the pine nuts in a pan on medium low heat, stirring frequently about 2-3 minutes. Remove and set aside.
  2. Heat ghee in the same pan on medium heat.
  3. Add sliced onion, saute.
  4. Add kale and broccoli.Cover for 2-3minutes. Check if it is cooked enough for your liking.
  5. Stir in ginger, sun dried tomato, salt, pepper flakes and lemon juice. Toss everything well.
  6. Transfer to a serving dish.

Paula @CeliacCorner January 11, 2014 (9:23 am)

Balvinder, I feel fortunate to have found your blog! Your recipes are wonderful and I look forward to recreating many of them, including the above kale and broccoli stir fry! Thank you again for being CeliacCorner’s featured food blogger for January.

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (7:43 am)

Thank you Paula for the lovely comment! I am so happy you found my blog and sent me the invite. I hope you will try the chai spiced cake and let me know how it turns out. Best wishes to you!

Katerina January 11, 2014 (9:38 am)

I love this side dish Balvinder! Broccoli is my favorite green!

Robyn @ simply fresh dinners January 11, 2014 (1:39 pm)

Wow, this looks so delicious, Balvinder. I’m going to share it with all my friends and relatives who are gluten free. Lovely combination of flavours.

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (7:47 am)

Dear Robyn, Thank you for your appreciation. Though I must tell you it is as good for GLUTEN EATING people as it is for gluten free.

Monica January 11, 2014 (4:58 pm)

I could make a meal out of this delicious kale and broccoli stir-fry! But don’t think I didn’t notice that amazing rice dish in the background! Yum! I also love adding pine nuts to almost anything. Great dish!

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (8:00 am)

Thanks Monica! I completely agree 😀 …and glad you notice the rice dish, it was just a background tool.

Ansh January 11, 2014 (5:01 pm)

This would make a perfect mid afternoon snack in my lunch box. Its full of power foods. Love it.

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (8:08 am)

Yes, they are full of healthy goodness for lunch. Thank you Ansh!
      By the way, I tried commenting on your blog post yesterday, but I couldn’t there was some problem in reloading after I hit publish. 🙁 That pau bhaji looks mouth watering though!

Jennifer Eloff January 11, 2014 (5:18 pm)

This sounds delish, especially with the pine nuts. I wish they were not so expensive. I like them!

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (8:10 am)

I don’t use them too often, so have no idea if they are expensive.

yummychunklet January 11, 2014 (8:07 pm)

What a healthy dish!

Sugar et al January 12, 2014 (1:28 am)

I absolutely love broccoli…not too fond of kale though. But this pairing sounds and looks great. I also love that you mention desi ghee in your recipes…makes the recipe all the more special!

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (8:25 am)

Thanks Sonali, desi ghee has more flavor than butter and makes a good sauteing oil for vegetables.
      ( Just forget that I added in kale in this)

Nava Krishnan January 12, 2014 (3:13 am)

Love the combo and yes, it’s not only healthy but delicious. I like the add on of the pine nuts on top which we over here seldom do. But of course, there’s always a new discovery which I like to try out.

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (8:29 am)

I love some kind of nuts in salads and stir fry, they kind of provide extra flavor.

Malti Sharma January 12, 2014 (7:27 am)

This looks so good. My family is a huge fan of broccoli in particular, …sauteed in desi ghee this will be a sure hit! I think I ‘m going to make it for dinner tonight. Have a great Sunday and (saw your snowshoeing photo on google+) Have fun 😀

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (8:32 am)

Thank you Malti for appreciation! Let me know how it works out for you 🙂

Angie@Angie's Recipes January 12, 2014 (11:11 am)

A wonderful side dish!

Blackswan January 13, 2014 (6:51 am)

Bal, I like how you’ve added pine nuts into the vegetables dish! Btw, have you received the goodie bag?

Balvinder January 13, 2014 (7:31 am)

Not yet, I checked my mailbox yesterday.

Coffee and Crumpets January 13, 2014 (1:11 pm)

Love broccoli and kale! This is the best way to make them, they taste fresh, look fresh and are delicious. The pine nuts is a lovely addition.

Vicki Bensinger January 14, 2014 (7:26 am)

This is such a healthy and nutritious dish, perfect for serving to my family or anyone else for that matter. Great recipe!

Juliana January 14, 2014 (2:17 pm)

Such a nice and healthy dish Balvinder, and I love the idea of ginger in it…
    Have a great week 😀

anne January 15, 2014 (4:02 am)

I love stir-fried broccoli and usually cook it with just garlic and ginger . Your version with kale and sun-dried tomato takes it to the next level of deliciousness 😀 The pine nuts is a wonderful addition .

Kitchen Belleicious January 15, 2014 (5:06 am)

wow! So healthy and full of flavor. I like the added pine nuts for a hint of crunch!

Amelia January 15, 2014 (9:12 pm)

Hi Balvinder, this kale dish look healthy and appetizing. Love the pine nuts. :))

Have a nice week ahead,regards.

Emilie January 16, 2014 (5:23 am)

Your blog has caught our attention thanks to the quality of your recipes. We would be delighted if you would join us on Recipes.in so that we could link to your blog.

Recipes.in is a search engine that compiles the best Indian cooking sites and blogs from the Internet. We are one of the largest in the world with sites in 37 markets and several hundred blogs are already enrolled here and benefit from the traffic we are sending to their sites.

To join Recipes.in, just go to http://www.recipes.in/add-your-food-blog

Daniela @ FoodrecipesHQ January 19, 2014 (1:51 pm)

Kale and broccoli together? Wow, this is a must try ASAP for me! I’m not sure why I have never thought to mix them together…